A Natick-based developer has filed plans with the Boston Redevelopment Authority to convert the Church of the Immaculate Conception on Harrison Avenue in the South End into 63 condos with 63 parking spaces and storage for 63 bicycles. There will be four studios, 28 one-bedroom, 23 two-bedroom and eight three-bedroom units.
According to The Boston Pilot, the church was designed by noted (and prolific) architect Patrick Keely and was dedicated in 1861. Urban renewal and suburbanization resulted in declining attendance and in the 1960s the church was turned over to the Society of Jesus, which operated something called the Jesuit Urban Center, “wreakovated” the interior and ran an LGBT ministry. The Jesuits closed it nearly nine years ago and the church has remained vacant ever since.
According to the filing, the building will be renovated to have seven floors, an elevator and a basement garage. Terraces and skylights will also be added. Any Catholic materials remaing from the wreakovation will be returned to the Archdiocese of Boston.
A number of old churches in Boston have been redeveloped into condos in recent years, most notoriously Holy Trinity, another Catholic chuch in the South End, which has a glass cube sticking out of the roof.